Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Quick Hits 7/9

Well folks, its going to be hard for me to post on a regular basis in the coming weeks. I just started my job on Monday, working in the D.C. area. However, I don't even have a place down here yet, so I'm kinda bouncing around between family and friends.

Meanwhile, I have stuff at my mom's apartment in Portsmouth, VA, but most of my stuff is still in Philly. Fortunately, my lease up there isn't up until August 23, so I have some time to find a place in the DMV.

However, I'm going to be bouncing around between DC during the week and Philly or VA on a lot of these weekends. I can't blog at my job, at least not yet, so its going to be tough to keep up.

I will, however, do my best to get a College Football preview, a Fantasy Football Preview, and an NFL preview in time for whoever reads this thing to have a good idea what to expect, or what not to expect seeing how I picked the Giants to go 5-11 last year.

NBA

Some interesting things going on in the NBA. Following the Baron Davis signing with the Clippers, Elton Brand bolted town for Philly. If they can ink Andre Iguodala, they will be a very dangerous team next year.

However, what if Iguodala leaves? And what about the Clippers? Do they throw a lot of money at the other AI or Josh Smith?

On the flip side, the Bucks are rumored to be offering Andrew Bogut $72 mil over 5 years. Talk about a head scratcher. Dude didn't even average a double-double last year.

What is wrong with these NBA GM's? When will they learn that its not important to have a center in this generation's NBA. There's only like 4 or 5 decent post players in the league now over 6'10. There's no need to throw a lot of cash at the Boguts, Dalemberts and Dampiers of the world.

MLB

The NL Central is getting very interesting. The Brewers picked up C.C. Sabathia, who will probably sign elsewhere in the off season along with Ben Sheets. This reminds me of when the Astros picked up Randy Johnson a few years ago, or when they picked up Carlos Beltran a few years ago. Sabathia and Sheets give them the best 1-2 punch in the game.

The Cubs countered that by picking up Rich Harden, who is talented but injury prone. If healthy, he will be the #1 starter they didn't have. If hurt, they aren't losing much besides prospects that may or may not pan out. I like it.

Lurking behind them are the Cardinals. Say what you want about Tony LaRussa, but he has this team fully of mostly no-name players and castoffs in contention. They could potentially spoil either one of those team's stretch runs, especially the Brewers, who haven't exactly been world beater's this year.

Now that I'm paying attention, I'm really excited about this year's baseball season. Too bad it had to compete with the NCAA and NBA for the first few months of the year.

No comments: